The origins of Villa Freiheim and Residence Villa Elisabeth
A piece of history of Merano - Tyrol
Hotel Villa Freiheim was constructed by Mr. Josef Zwick in Via Parini in Merano (South Tyrol) in March 1896.
On 31st of October 1903, Villa Freheim became the private residence of Archduke Otto and Franziska an der Lan von Hochbrunn. The pioneer of breeding Haflinger horses, Otto an der Lan von Hochbrunn, was also a founding member of the "Società sportiva e di corse - Südtirol", which was responsible for the construction of the hippodrome in Merano around 1900 - a historic symbol of the Merano & environs holiday region and the spa town of Merano.
In 1929, today's Aparthotel Villa Freiheim was handed over to daughter Elisabeth an der Lan von Hochbrunn, who was born in the villa. When she got married to Baron Malberg, she moved to Vienna. Villa Freiheim subsequently served as a summer residence only.
In December 1940 during World War II, Baroness Elisabeth was forced to give the villa to the Authority for the Three Venices. The Authority sold Villa Freiheim on to Mr. Weger Giovanni, a wine dealer from the Bassa Atesina region, who turned Villa Freiheim into a private residence with 4 apartments.
After the end of the war, the manor went into the possession of Mr. Johann Noggler. In 1959, the annex building Villa Elisabeth, today's Residence of Hotel Villa Freiheim, was constructed in the adjacent wine garden.
In July 1976, Noggler Johann gave the villa to this daughter Annalies, who opened the 3-star Hotel in July 1977 after one year of reconstruction works. Still today, Hotel Villa Freiheim remains in the possession of the Nagler-Genetti family, which manages the hotel with great passion.
The name of the South Tyrolean Nature Hotel "Villa Freiheim" has always been used for this building and is due to the fact, that Archduke Otto an der Lan von Hochbrunn invited guests for music and tea every Tuesday.